Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adding groups & users: grover, ernie & bert

I thought the installation of webmin to be pretty straightforward. At first when I found the ip address using ifconfig, I didn’t realize that the 10000 had to be added onto the end, but once I typed in correctly all went well.

We were supposed to create 3 users and 3 groups (user name in each instance corresponded to a group of the same name). I chose names that were easy to remember, preferring to go with a sesame street theme so that now I have 3 new users & groups: grover, ernie & bert.

I was a little alarmed when I first saw the message “grover is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported” but as I looked more closely at the instructions I realized this is the message that I should see since I had not added the admin group in the useradd command line. Although I'm still wondering to who/what grover's incident will be reported?

Adding a user & group through the remote desktop did not seem to go as well as the Webmin or VM processes, as testing files with the sudo nano testfile command in the terminal utility took me to the GNU nano testfile, and from here none of my commands seemed to work. Eventually I just had to restart in order to escape. Overall I found the remote desktop a little cagey and slow, although the GUI utility for adding groups & users was easy to navigate. Ultimately I think that I'm slowly coming around to appreciating the CLI for all its transparency, and the more I type in the black screen (on the VM), the easier it seems to read through the lines of text...

No comments:

Post a Comment