Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Playing in the sandbox

Going through the commands this week it was really great to see that almost everything worked as stated in the tutorials, although I had some issues accessing one of the directories from the sandbox server due to skimming over the changed directory listed in the assignments doc. I feel as though I’m learning a new language, although I wish that I could practice with my own files in my system. I don’t seem to be able to arrow through with my Mac laptop keyboard, but I’m going to try on the pc keyboard I use with my Mac mini in a little while. I’m also wondering about the – key on my laptop keyboard, as this did not seem to work with some of the commands when trying to activate the long format.

Copying over the files seemed to work well, as did the simple commands such as ls & pwd – ths latter command is like a compass if you get lost. I’m embarrassed to admit that sometimes I associate the cd with command instead of change directory! Not good when trying to navigate through, as it makes one feel somewhat schizophrenic. I think it will be a while before I use the rm command. Undoable deletion – yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment